Friday, January 24, 2014

#etlead components of a serious game

    I was not so sure about the idea of a serious game or this project before digging in and researching the topic.  Now the more I explore and play I see the potential for some amazing learning to occur using serious games.  I can say I am on the this is "so cool" side of serious games.  When I think about them I see the exposure players can have to an "outside" world they may never have access to or understand. 
      A serious game is a game that has purpose is for more then just entertainment, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_game  By this broad definition a serious game can be many different types of games depending on the user and the age of the player.  I believe that the components of a serious game can depend on what the end goal or the purpose of the game. Before a game can be played or used in a classroom sitting the instructor needs to decide on what components need to be present for a successful serious game.  If the serious game a well rounded game the game will easily lead to engagement and reflection. Here are some components I would have in mind when I think about a serious game to use with the student population I work with:

1. Real World Exposure: Depending on the student population, many students may not ever have the chance to explore or understand the world outside of the familiar world they have always know.  Serious games that deal with a real world situation or current world issue can give students a chance to be put in someone else's shoes. 

2. A Goal: Students not be participating in a game that may not have an end goal in mind. There should something students are working towards.  If the game is being used for educational purposes then just like everything we teach there should be an objective attached to the lesson or activity. 

3. Lesson Supported/Standards: The game being played in the class should be related to a subject or unit students are working on in the classroom.  Lesson and activities within and out of the game should relate to each other and provide plenty of chances for reflection and discussion. Games should go past the traditional educational lesson. 

4. Collaboration: By having students collaborate or work together on a game they build social skills they may miss out on with other activities.  Also by working collaboratively on a serious game students can find different strengths in each other and work together to problem solve a situation.  It is always said "two heads are better then one!"

5. Promotes Risk Taking: The great thing about serious games students can take risks without facing "real world" consequences.  Many of the students in the school I work at have huge fear of being wrong.  Nobody likes to be wrong but students will learn that it is okay to make mistakes but their may be a consequence for our actions. 

6. Allows for Exploration/Problem Solving Skills: "Students learn by doing"- http://www-935.ibm.com/services/multimedia/serious-games-overview.pdf It is key for students to build upon the knowledge they already have to complete the goal or find the solution they are looking for.  Students should be able to work towards thinking and problem solving what may happen based of the current move they are going to make.  Students need to be able to use there logical and reasoning skills

Resources:
http://www-935.ibm.com/services/multimedia/serious-games-overview.pdf 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_game
http://learningworksforkids.com/2011/10/example-science-of-play-related-post/


5 comments:

  1. Sara H,
    Thanks for the informative post. In your second paragraph you said, “Before a game can be played or used in a classroom setting the instructor needs to decide on what components need to be present for a successful serious game.” I agree with this statement. My problem being “that teacher” is finding the serious game that not only covers the area of study I want my kids to learn, but then also has the components I want as well. As I learn and discover more and more about these games, the more overwhelmed I become. So, if I look at a scenario that involves me as a teacher, it would look something like this: In English, we are learning about Oliver Twist. I want my students to get a better idea of London in the 1840’s so they know more about the life of Oliver and the folks around him. I find a game that deals with London history, but students learn about the political system in London rather than the common lifestyle, so I throw that out. I dig and dig for another game and find one that deals with lifestyle, but is more “fun” rather than learning as an objective. Then I keep digging...so I spend tons of time digging rather than teaching. Anyway, I wonder if there is a way to quickly find serious games that have the objectives listed so that I could quickly find what I am looking for. Hmmmm, maybe someone should do that for teachers.

    Anyway, back to your criteria...I like the “collaboration” part of your criteria. I really like the idea of students working together to help them develop social skills and build on each other’s strengths.

    I also like your #5 “promoting risk taking”. If students can take risk without being humiliated, it is a great skill for them to learn. They need to be challenged to get out of their comfort zones and try new things...especially things that are hard.

    Thanks again Sara for your great thoughts.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary and all...as we come across games that would be good for a specific purpose or audience (Oliver Twist - high school - meets common core) it would be great to make a page in the Wiki on which to catalog and share them so we can make them a part of the overall Wiki at the end. That would save a lot of teachers a whole lot of time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent list of criteria. I've noticed a few common themes as I've read through different blogs. One that has shown up several times is collaboration. I didn't include that in my listing but after reading your justification, I am having second thoughts. You made an excellent point when you said collaboration builds social skills. Our kids will most likely end up in careers that require significant social interaction. It's a skill that must be developed beyond simple Facebook sharing and Snap chat conversations. They will have to deal with important decisions that are built on group consensus. Having collaboration part of a serious game would be an excellent building block for this type of future. Thanks for your convincing opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara H.,

    (On a side note, I love your font. It was fun to read). Good list of components. I agree that a serious game needs a serious goal(s)/objective(s). Along with these goals/objectives there should be clear, simple rules the students/players need to adhere to. I don't think this should be an extensive list but if we are truly trying to mimic the real world, rules should be included since even in our jobs there are "rules" we must adhere to.

    I like #5. I don't believe I touched on risk taking in my list. I think I may try to include that in some aspect. I have tried to combine some components into one in my list. It seems that you have done that as well.

    Thanks for sharing, Sara H.

    Sara L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the comments. Gary, I would completely agree, it is hard to select a set of components when there is an overwhelming amount of serious games. So I'm thinking there should be like a check list or flow chart of how to select the right serious game for the classroom. I would say to first select a goal or an objective, then narrow down the games based on the skills or components that are most relevant to this lesson. I did not include certain things since I hope that no matter what is done in the classroom. I think a serious game their needs to be engagement and reflection. I hope not matter what I am doing in the classroom those two pieces are always present.
    I have to say when I created a list I really had the students I work with in mind. I know there are certain skills that they do not have or have a hard time tapping into so my goal would be for a serious game to help teach these things. Due to culture and the educational support they have had before students struggle with problem solving skills and not had many opportunities to work together. Looking at my students risk taking is the biggest challenge. Serious games would allow students see that risk taking is okay and the risk they take in the game will not have a long term effect on them.

    ReplyDelete