Friday, February 7, 2014

#etlead keeping students engaged

It is the goal of every teacher to create lessons and activities that suck students in and keep all of them actively participating through the whole activity.  We all know that in reality that is not always going to happen and some lessons we think are going to be amazing may flop.  As teachers knowing our students can help create some very active and engaging lessons.  Engagement is not just about one lesson but creating an engaging classroom where students are always excited for the next thing.  

When I first think about engaging lesson I think of lessons that are interactive, students are "glued" to the lesson, they want to learn more on their own,  and they are activities students constantly talk about.  As a student the engaging lessons are the ones I still remember to this day, the teachers that kept the classroom engaging are the ones that inspired me to be a teacher. 

What are the components of an engaging lesson and how do we as teachers attempt to make all of our lessons engaging?  I think there is an endless list of ways to keep a lesson engaged. Teach Like a Pirate does an excellent job of breaking it down of what needs to be present for not only an engaging lesson, but an engaging classroom.  David Burgess looks at passion, we all are passionate about something and students can see that we can become more then just a talking head in front of the classroom.  Students need to feel comfortable in the classroom, we need to create a community were everyone feels safe.  I thing I really like the Burgess says is that we need "swim" with our students. As teachers we need to immerse ourselves into our lessons, students can tell when we are not following immersed and will act as we do.  "When a teacher is passionate about his or her subject matter, this enthusiasm is often infectious. If a teacher is bored, the students will sense it. If the teacher is learning along with the children, exploring and discovering, students will notice this, too." (Gazin)

I think that being innovative plays a huge role in creating an engaging classroom. "Cookie cutter" lessons don't work for every student.  As teachers it is important to take some creative liberty when we create a lesson or activity.  It is key to get to know your students and know what potential issues you may have with an activity.  An innovative lesson gets students thinking and taps into higher level of questioning.  They also get students moving and active in the learning process it's not just the teacher talking and students listening.

When we have an engaging activity that can completely flop because there is not enough structure or balance. Engaged classes can be active but structured as well, so like to call this controlled chaos. Students need to now the rule, and what is expected of them. If the expectations are clearly laid out and students are aware of them the chances of pure chaos are limited. 

This week made me think about my classroom and the level of engagement of my students. I fell as if I could talk forever on how to make a lesson engaging.  I look at my students and the activities in my classroom.  This is by far the most challenging year and most challenging group of students.  I have students who are hesitant to try new things and are not confident in their learning, but as their teacher it is my job to find that one thing that gets them excited and ready to try new things.  After reading the text I have a new sense of excitement to find new ways to engage my students and get all of them on board with trying new things!


http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/engaging-students-keep-them-edge-their-seats
http://www.learningkeys.org/EducatorTips/TheSecretofEngagingandMotivatingStudents/tabid/277/Default.aspx
http://www.edutopia.org/stw-school-turnaround-student-engagement-tips
Teach Like a Pirate David Burgess

2 comments:

  1. Sara, I really enjoyed reading your blog this week. I fully agree with you that we en need to create an engaging classroom not just engaging lessons. I wonder how you start your year out and what sorts of activities you do to build that sense of community in your class? Also, what grades do you teach? I like to have students do an “all about me” and bring things in to share about themselves with the class. I also did an “all about me board” where each student had a week to have up photos and things that represent them and they get to have it up on the wall and talk about it to the class. Students really got to know each other and I think it helped them to be comfortable in the classroom. “Teach Like a Pirate” is definitely an inspirational book; it was very refreshing for me to read in this time of great academic changes in our state. I would like to share it with other teachers in our district. Good luck with your classroom this year and it sounds like you are motivated to find new ways to engage everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meagan-I teach 3rd and 4th grade this year. I have previously taught kindergarten and first grade. It is hard getting students to open up at at the beginning, culturally the students I work with are very reserved. I like doing activities like the all about me and activities like that are easier with older students. Thank you, the more I dig into the book the more I am pulling out of it

    ReplyDelete